About this Cruise

This month-long cruise aboard the NOAA Ship Oscar Elton Sette brings together six diverse teams to survey fish populations using non-catch methods. Traditionally, fish populations have been assessed by catching fish, visiting fish markets and interviewing fishermen. Chief Scientist Scott Ferguson hopes to support Guam and the CNMI in monitoring their natural resources using non-extractive methods. The ship will also use multibeam sonar to map areas that are important fishery resources hopefully to include Galvez Bank, offshore slopes near Rota, and the banks of Farallon de Medinilla.

The survey methods include BotCams and BRUVs, two systems that put baited cameras on the bottom, and a TOAD which is a camera towed near the seafloor . An Autonomous Underwater Vehicle will travel on its own via computer programming and bring back photographs and video. Additionally, acoustic methods will be used to survey fish in the water column.

This expedition brings together scientists from NOAA’s Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Center and Northwest Fisheries Science Center, as well as the University of Hawaii’s Joint Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Research, the University of Guam Marine Lab, and Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.







Sunday, March 7, 2010

Better BRUV Basics

Steve Lindfield has created a great page about his work on this trip using the BRUVs. Click on "BRUVs" under the Page heading to the right of this post.

I AM HAPPY!! and everyone on this ship knows it. Fish 250 was removed from the internet for over 24 hours. I tried to keep a good attitude. I spent the better part of 3 weeks working on this blog. I was able to interact with most of my Guam students via the blog during that time. That was great, but, "I wasn't done!" We came back up this morning and I was dancing in the e-lab. I should be glad I was shut down because coming back up has made me so happy.

7 comments:

Linda Tatreau, blogging as Shark Feet said...

Great information on using BRUVs and pictures. At first, I thought, "Oh, where did the blog go?" hehe. Glad to know that you guys are coming back soon. I know you're really excited to tell us your experiences and pictures. We're excited too to hear and see them.
Ritzmar-5

Where did the blog go? We will never know, but I am sure glad to have it back.

Linda Tatreau, blogging as Shark Feet said...

Hello Ms.Tatreau!
Wow! I'm really amazed at all the things you have been doing on your trip! I like the fact even when working on the Boat, you guys still find time to do some activity's and even learn new things! I was wondering, if all you guys eat is Fish? Also, have you encountered any exotic Marine life while on the Trip? Enjoy the rest of your Trip! I really admire this Blog because you got to experiences such a great view! Have you fulfilled anything you've been wanting to do on your trip? (Steph-2)

Hi Stef,
Poke, sashimi and sushi are the favorite foods on the ship. Last night we caught 3 big wahoo. It was poke for lunch. Fish are my friends so I had rice and salad. I don’t eat fish but it doesn’t bother me that other people do. I’m a vegetarian but I believe humans evolved to be omnivores. How can you define “exotic” when talking about life in the sea? To me, it is all exotic. We have seen whales, sharks, dolphins and big fish. I have acc Fire Drill – I’ll be back.
I’m back. We have drills every week. I have accomplished all my goals. I’m very happy with the blog, I’ve learned so much, made new friends and had a great time.

Linda Tatreau, blogging as Shark Feet said...

Ms. T
This is Brandon Quintanilla from your 6th period. G.W. High School Guam.
Was there any unusual sittings during the Expedition?
Was there a unusual species of fish not known to man on this expidition?
How many species of fish survied during the duration of this expidition?
Did you see an angle fish?
Did you see any mating or spawning of any kind, if so how many sittings?
What was the most common fish seen on this expidition?
What was the biggest fish, and what was kind of fish was it?
Did you and the team do any labs both in the water or on the ship?
What was the deepest depth the expidition has seen?

Hi Brandon,
We did not find anything really unusual, but there were more fish at Galvez Bank than expected. Using cameras, rather the catching the fish, means it would be hard to identify new species. All the fish survived because we only shot them with cameras. That is, all the fish survived except the ones we caught with a hook and line and ate for dinner. Do you mean angelfish? We did see some but no spawning or mating―since we were using bait, the fish we saw were more interested in food. The most common fishes were probably snappers. The biggest fish we saw using the cameras was a gray reef shark. The biggest fish we ate was a wahoo. All we did in the labs was process data and look at pictures. This ship works mostly with fishery issues and when they catch fish there is a lot of lab work, but on this expedition we are using cameras. The AUV went the deepest when it went to over 1150 feet.

Linda Tatreau, blogging as Shark Feet said...

Chuckle...it's the little things that make us happy.

Hi Lawrence,
It didn’t seem little at the time. However, in the mountain of life, it is only a pebble. Amazing that a pebble could make me so happy.

Linda Tatreau, blogging as Shark Feet said...

Hi Ms. Tatreau!
Im glad that the blog is back up! I was getting a little bit scared at first. Anyways, you're coming back soon!! I can't wait to hear all your exciting stories you have in store for us! Have fun and enjoy the rest of your trip!
Maria-5

Hi Maria,
Let me tell you―no one could have been happier than me when Google put Fish250 back on-line. Thanks for writing.

Linda Tatreau, blogging as Shark Feet said...

When i heard that the website no longer existed, I didn't know what to say. This site is very amazing with fascinating and interesting facts and pictures. Keep up the amazing job!
Toby-5

Hi Toby,
Thanks for the encouraging words. As great as this has been, I’m ready to come home. See you Monday.

Linda Tatreau, blogging as Shark Feet said...

Haha Well we're happy too ms. t!! Happy to have what was possibly one of the only ways of communication with our super scientific awesome teacher ms.t. Well hope you do the happy dance for us back at school. Cant wait!!
ed-6

Hi Ed,
It has been fun staying in touch with everyone via the blog. However, 4 weeks is a long time and I’m anxious to be back at school. I will do the “happy dance” for you only in my mind.